The nation’s capital went on high alert Monday after a shooting attack at the city’s U.S. Navy Yard left at least 12 victims. Police said one suspected shooter was dead at the scene. By day’s end, authorities were saying they did not think there had been a second shooter — as some evidence had earlier led them to believe.
Authorities identified the dead suspect as Aaron Alexis, a 34-year-old man from New York, who the Pentagon says was a full-time Navy reservist from May of 2007 through January of 2011.